One of the causes we support at USMC is the Ciudad Juárez Esperanza Azteca Symphony Orchestra. All told, there are more than 80 Esperanza Azteca Symphony Orchestras in Mexico.
The Adopt a Teacher program raises funds to help pay the salaries of teachers working with this organization in Ciudad Juárez. Some of the orchestra’s achievements with help from the Asociación de Amigos de la Orquesta Sinfónica Esperanza Juárez, A.C., are as follows:
Social Impact of the Project
-Social and cultural transformation of the lives of more than 400 children and teens in Ciudad Juárez every year.
-Over the last ten years, this musical-social project has impacted more than 1,200 families in Ciudad Juárez.
-One of the essential requirements for children and teens to join the orchestras is being enrolled in school at the level corresponding to their age. This requirement directly impacts dropout prevention and positively affects student achievement.
Ten years impacting Ciudad Juárez ambassadors
-During the last ten years, Orchestra members have been selected to perform alongside respected musicians such as Joshua Bell, Yo-Yo Ma, Plácido Domingo, José Carreras, Alondra de la Parra, Paquito D’ Rivera, Carlos Prieto, the Mariinsky Orchestra & Valery Gergiev, and Fernando de la Mora.
-Their hard work and talent have taken them beyond Ciudad Juárez to perform in concerts in cities in Mexico (Mexico City, Puebla, Acapulco, Chihuahua, Nuevo Casas Grandes, and Torreón), the United States (New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Cruces, Tucson, Houston and El Paso), and Europe. As a special distinction, the Orchestra participated in welcoming Pope Francis to Ciudad Juárez in 2016.
-Members of the Orchestra have attended Master Classes with internationally recognized and accomplished musicians. Several have been recognized for their accomplishments by participating in world-class tours and festivals in Mexico, the United States, Canada, Italy, Switzerland, Poland, Germany, Estonia, Austria, Denmark, and Scotland. The following special achievers have received scholarships to continue their music education:
- Fernando Domínguez at Haute Ecole de Musique in Switzerland
- Alexis Sánchez at the University of Denver’s Lamont School of Music in the USA
- Orlando Barajas at the Haute Ecole de Musique in Switzerland
- Violeta Arredondo at the University of Texas in El Paso in the USA
- Javier Garcia at the New Mexico State University in the USA
- Arturo Muñoz, Principal Horn of the Escuela Oscar Chávez Orchestra in Mexico & Rodrigo Esteban Cardona at the Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas, in the USA
First Place Nationwide
In June 2018, the Esperanza Juárez Symphony Orchestra won First Place in the Esperanza Azteca National Symphony Orchestra Competition with 83 orchestras from across the nation and the opportunity to present a season of concerts at the Roberto Cantoral Theater in Mexico City.
- Video: 10 Años Orquestando la Esperanza en Juárez https://youtu.be/rGSjiz-FTv4
- Video: Hope Through Music Across Borders Concert, Tucson, AZ
- Video: Tocando Vidas en Ciudad Juárez https://vimeo.com/361099043
- Video: Debut Orquesta Infantil https://youtu.be/l-cztHNszmE
- Video: Estreno Orquesta Binacional The Bridge, https://youtu.be/0uvr0yWyV98
- Virtual presentation delivery: Schindler’s List, https://youtu.be/xIVYx2gWRXc
- Virtual presentation delivery: La Llorona, https://youtu.be/l0y8NUDh__Q
Asociación de Amigos de la Orquesta Sinfónica Esperanza Juárez, A.C. Vicente Guerrero 8207, Colonia Partido Senecú, 32470 Cd. Juárez, Chihuahua, Tel. +52 (65) 6418 9393